StraightUp Solar’s Commitment to Carbon Neutrality
We are all faced with many challenges right now, including coronavirus, economic uncertainty, and climate change. In particular, COVID-19 and climate change have hit communities of color the hardest. These people have been put in harm’s way due to systematic racism. For example, many work at jobs where they are exposed to coronavirus because they cannot work from home, or live in communities near fossil fuel power plants which make it harder to breathe. During times of hardship it is important to remember what matters most and then work to actualize those values, each and every day.
Our CLEARE values include “Respect for Each Other and the Environment”, and that is why StraightUp Solar is committing to become carbon neutral by the end of the year. We are committed to people and the planet, and we have to show up to address these crises like the emergencies they are. That is why we believe it is paramount to act now and to do everything in our power to reduce and offset our emissions that are created via our business operations.
StraightUp Solar is a Benefit Corporation, or BCorp. We value people and planet over profit. In 2019, over 500 BCorps came together during the United Nations climate talks in Madrid to commit to carbon neutrality. These business leaders signed on to limit average global warming to 1.5℃. We are inspired by these companies and we are adding our name to this important declaration. Thus far, in 2020, we have taken these steps to address this challenge:
- Declared a Climate Emergency — because we need to do everything we can to address this issue today like the emergency it is.
- Installed solar panels on our new headquarters office building in St. Louis. The array offsets over 100% of our consumption each year to account for growth.
- Installed Electric Vehicle chargers at our headquarters to encourage employees to drive on clean energy.
- Increasing our remote sales and communication with customers.
- Participating in Illinois Solar for All to install solar in low-income communities and environmental justice communities.
- Offset the remainder of our emissions via carbon offsets using a BCorporation, Native.
As always, we want to broaden our impact and influence the community we live in. Our next step is to recruit our suppliers and fellow business leaders to help guide our planet to a healthy future.
Would your business join us in declaring a Climate Emergency and make a commitment, by December 31, 2020, to carbon neutrality? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to join our declaration.