StraightUp Solar, a fast-growing, locally-owned solar installation company, is seeking a Solar Designer for its St. Louis, MO office. We offer a unique experience that fosters individual growth and rewards performance. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, detail-oriented, has excellent problem-solving abilities, is passionate about delivering results on-time, exceeding expectations, and ensuring success for our teams. The Solar Designer is responsible for designing code-compliant residential solar photovoltaic systems following design department policy.
About StraightUp Solar:
StraightUp Solar is Missouri’s longest running and largest solar installer. St Louis-founded and owned, we are a fully licensed and insured electrical contractor, a BBB A+ business, and B-Corps Certified. We are a turn-key solar PV design & installation firm with 5 in-house installation crews. Our 105 employees in Missouri and Illinois are dedicated exclusively to PV design, installation, operations, and maintenance.
StraightUp Solar has installed more than 2,000 solar projects at businesses, homes, schools, farms, churches and government buildings throughout Missouri and Illinois and has offices in St. Louis, MO and Bloomington, IL. More than half of our Team Members are NABCEP Certified Solar Professionals.
What we offer:
- Competitive hourly rate and advancement opportunities
- 4% Employer Matching 401(k)/100% vested
- Monthly medical insurance stipend for employee
- Profit sharing
- Paid Life Insurance $50,000
- Additional voluntary insurance includes: Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability, Accident and Critical Illness, Life and Legal.
- Wellness Program with Headspace App Stipend
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Holidays, Bereavement, and Volunteer Time
- Ongoing solar education and training classes
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop detailed drawing documents such as electrical single-line diagram, site plan, detailed layout for the residential PV projects
- Review and modify drawing sets in AutoCAD and custom software tools such as Helioscope
- Coordinate with Site Assessors, Project Management, and Sales teams to complete designs based on customers’ expectations
- Create project bills of material (BOM)
- Provide technical support to electricians and installers to resolve installation issues
- Assist in developing and documenting industry best practices, standards and guidelines
- Work to meet and exceed design Key Performance Indicators (KPI) including, but not limited to, quality, output and cycle time
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering related field required
- OR Bachelor’s degree in non-engineering field and 1 year of solar industry experience required
- OR Associate’s degree in design related field and 1 year of solar design (or 2 years of solar industry) experience required
- OR NABCEP associate certification and 2 years of solar industry experience required
- Proficient in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office
- Critical thinking and ability to solve problems
- Demonstrate good judgment and analytical skills
- High degree of attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience with designing and/or constructing solar electric systems
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and local building codes
What We’re Looking For:
You’ll thrive in this position if you’re a good communicator. Also you must have proven systems for keeping track of your deliverables and keeping organized, and the ability to excel in a team environment where your performance is measured by the success of all. New employees need full Covid-19 vaccination status by start date.
- Outstanding communication, customer service and follow-up skills and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must be highly organized with extreme attention to detail for logging and communicating project details.
- Present a consistent positive attitude, exceptional teamwork with reliable attendance.
- Superior self-awareness, accountability, confidence and poise while juggling numerous tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and follow through on assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Great computer technology skills, CRM experience, ms office, and google apps such as gmail, maps etc.
- Strong spatial visualization skills. Experience performing financial calculations.
- Provide exceptional customer service, are solution-minded, and are always looking for ways to improve efficiency and communication.
- Clean driving record with reliable transportation.
- Proven track record highlighting examples of being a self-starter while managing numerous priorities
- Covid-19 vaccination prior to start date
StraightUp Solar Culture:
StraightUp Solar is a values-based B-Corp company committed to a cleaner, safer, and more secure energy future – one solar panel at a time. We provide a supportive team environment which allows everyone the opportunity to collaborate on ideas to improve the company. StraightUp Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage veterans, women, persons of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply. Different makes us better. StraightUp Solar has 6 core values (CLEARE) that guide the company and team members.
- Community First
- Lead the Solar Tribe
- Educate the Solar Lesson
- Advocate Always
- Respect Each Other and the Environment
- Excellence In All We Do
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
We are monitoring the covid levels in the community and take safety seriously. If Covid levels are high masking is required in common spaces in within 6 feet of customers and co-workers. All new hires must be vaccinated fully.