Making the solar switch saves your business money on your energy bills and designates you as an environmental leader. The combination of rising utility costs, dramatically decreased solar costs, and a 30% federal tax credit combined with rapid depreciation makes solar an option for leading businesses in the St. Louis region.
Savings: Depreciation + 30% Fed Tax Credit = Approximately 50% savings!
Rapid Depreciation – Over Five Years
* Learn more: Modified Accelerated Cost-Recovery System (MACRS)
30% Federal tax credit:
- 30% of Photovoltaic (Solar Electric) System
Columbia Water & Light (Columbia, MO)
- 50 cents /watt solar rebate
- Maximum rebate is $5,000 /10,000 watts
* Learn more: Columbia Water and Light
Illinois Renewable Energy Solar Rebate Program:
- 25% rebate for residential and business applicants
- 40% rebate for public sector and non-profit entities
- Maximum rebate of $10,000
* Funds will likely be available again in late summer 2014
* Learn more at Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
How to File for the Federal Tax Credit
* EPA website on How to File for the Federal Tax Credit solar energy systems.
- For products “placed in service” in 2013, you need to file the 2013 version of IRS Form 5695 and submit it with your 2013 taxes (by April 15, 2014).
- On the 1040 form you enter this tax credit from Form 5695 (the residential energy tax credit) on line 52.
- Save your receipts and the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement for your records.
- Submit Form 5695 with your 2013 taxes
- Solar Tax Resources Summary: An overview of all the links, accounting, and forms you need
- Accounting for PV System Rebates: A guide to accounting for solar systems and the federal tax credit, rebates, and depreciation.
- DSIRE, the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency: The nation’s most comprehensive, one-stop source of information on federal, state, local, and utility incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency. DSIRE contains information on more than 2,200 programs and is accessible online for free at www.dsireusa.org.
StraightUp Solar, LLC recommends consulting an accountant regarding tax incentives. Information here is provided as a resource, but not tax advice.